Clean Holds Shelf Report
The SirsiDynix Symphony Workstation server needs to be running to schedule and run this report, or the report will fail. Do not halt the SirsiDynix Symphony Workstation server until the report displays on the finished list.
Occasionally, after a hold has become available on the Holds shelf, a user will cancel a hold in the e-Library, staff will remove or suspend a hold, or the hold will expire while the item is on the Holds shelf. The Clean Holds Shelf (Cleanholdshelf) report generates a list of INACTIVE holds that have been cancelled, removed, or expired, or a list of ACTIVE holds that have been suspended. These holds need to be cleared from the Holds shelf.
This report will display the item’s current location (where the item currently is). If the item associated with the inactive hold is currently checked out or not on the hold shelf, the current location will reflect this in the report output.
This report contains the following tabs.
- Basic Tab: Reports
- Hold Selection Tab
- Print Separate Reports for Each Library Tab
- Sorting Tab
- Trap Holds Tab
How this Report Selects Holds and Changes the Hold Status
The Clean Holds Shelf report will select and/or change the Hold Status depending on the hold, as follows.
- For holds that were cancelled or removed, this report changes the Hold Status from ACTIVE to INACTIVE, but it does not remove the hold. As a result, the system can keep track of the hold’s condition before it was made INACTIVE and know whether a cancelled hold was available and on the Holds shelf.
- For available holds that were expired on the Holds shelf using the Expire Available Holds (Expshlfholds) report, the Hold Status is already INACTIVE since the status was set by that report. The Clean Holds Shelf report will select the expired available holds for processing.
- For unavailable holds that were expired before they could be filled, the Expire Holds (Expireholds) report is used and sets the Hold Status to INACTIVE. Since the status was set by that report, the Clean Holds Shelf report will select the expired available holds for processing.
- For suspended holds, the Hold Status remains ACTIVE since the hold will resume its position in the hold queue once the suspension period ends.
When the report is run, the INACTIVE hold or suspended hold is changed from AVAILABLE to UNAVAILABLE. If there are any other holds that the item qualifies for, then the next one is made available, by default. To prevent this from occurring automatically, clear the Trap Holds check box on the Trap Holds tab. If the item does not have any holds it can fill, the item’s current location is set to its home location, and it can be reshelved.
When the Trap Holds check box is cleared, the next hold remains unavailable until library staff uses the Check Item Status wizard or Trap Holds wizard to make the hold available again.
The Clean Holds Shelf report can also put items in transit automatically when the report is run. The Transit Items check box on the Trap Holds tab is selected by default. This option puts an item being removed from the Holds shelf in transit, if necessary. This value takes precedence over the Trap Holds option, so if both check boxes are selected, and if the next hold is to be picked up at a different library than this library’s Holds shelf, then the item will go in transit instead of being marked as available for that hold. This will allow the item to arrive at the destination library and for the library staff to make the hold available once they actually have the item in hand.
If Transit Items check box is cleared, then items will not automatically go in transit. The item is not put in transit for the next hold until you use the Check Item Status wizard or other circulation wizard to put the item in transit. The Transit Items option of this report is not governed by the Configure Automatic Transit of Items in Circulation setting in the Global Configuration wizard.
Using the Clean Holds Shelf List
The Clean Holds Shelf report prints a list of items with INACTIVE holds or suspended holds that should be removed from the Holds shelf, and directions as to where to route them. The library that is printed is the library that owns the item. If the hold that was removed had a pickup library specified, the user ID also prints. Results may be sorted by call number or user name. Call number is the default.
In the report output, holds are grouped by pickup library. When an item’s owning library does not match the pickup library, another line will be printed, indicating the owning library of the item. These items must be put in transit to the owning library.
Results are sorted by library, with a page break between the list of items from each library, so that each library staff can be responsible for their own holds administration. You may select the Print Separate Reports for Each Library check box to print an individual report for each library that only lists holds that should be removed from the Holds shelf in that library. If the check box is selected, the Clean Holds Shelf report title displays in the finished reports list, and contains just the report log. Then, individual reports titled "Clean Holds Shelf(Report Title):LIBRARY" display in the finished reports list. Each of these individual reports contains a portion of the report log, and a list of holds to be removed from the Holds shelf for the specified library.
If the Send Notices Automatically check box is selected in the Report Session wizard properties for the Reports module, each library’s list is automatically emailed to the email address listed in the library’s user record if the Print Separate Reports for Each Library option is selected.
Rerouting Inactive Hold Items
If the Clean Holds Shelf is not used to reroute cancelled INACTIVE, available holds from the Holds shelf, these other methods are also available.
- Use the Check Item Status wizard for items on the Holds shelf and choose to reshelve or reroute INACTIVE holds.
- Remove the hold and reroute items if the Remove From Holds Shelf check box is selected in the Remove Item Holds wizard properties or the Remove User Holds wizard properties. This check box is delivered selected for both wizards.
- Suspend the hold and reroute items if the Remove From Holds Shelf check box in the Modify Item Holds wizard properties or the Modify User Holds wizard properties is selected. This check box is delivered selected for both wizards.
If the Remove From Holds Shelf check box is selected in the Remove User Hold wizard properties or the Remove Item Hold wizard properties when a hold is removed, the Clean Holds Shelf report will select only holds canceled in the e-Library.
If the Remove From Holds Shelf check box is selected in the Remove User Hold wizard properties or the Remove Item Hold wizard properties when a hold is suspended, the Clean Holds Shelf report will not select the suspended hold since it assumed that the item was removed from the Holds shelf when the hold was suspended.
An INACTIVE hold never displays in the e-Library or WorkFlows; INACTIVE holds are managed through reports only.